爱上海,上海419论坛,上海龙凤419 - Powered by 上海4197龙凤

Dozens Dead After Electrical Fire At Warehouse Party In Oakland

first_imgOn Saturday morning, the nation woke up to some truly tragic news out of Oakland, CA. Late Friday night, a fire broke out at a warehouse party. As the fire engulfed more and more of the building, dozens of patrons were trapped inside, perishing in the flames or asphyxiating on the thick black smoke.Emergency workers said they arrived to find the building filled with heavy smoke and flames. According to Chief Teresa Deloach Reed of the Oakland Fire Department on Saturday, bodies were found on the second floor of the building. “In my career of 30 years,” she said, “I haven’t experienced something of this magnitude.” Even without a full accounting, the fire was one of the deadliest in the United States in many years.On Saturday morning, the event’s Facebook page said admission to the show was $10 for those who arrived before 11 p.m. and $15 after that. By the end of the day, the pricing had disappeared and the page had turned into an emergency message board, as dozens of friends and family members posted about missing loved ones. People have distributed a spreadsheet listingidentifying information — age, height, weight, hair color, tattoos — and contact numbers for many of those who are still unaccounted for.The tragedy brings to light an underlying fear for many in the underground music scene, where this sort of warehouse party is commonplace. The building, known as the Ghost Ship, in the Fruitvale neighborhood, was the site of an event featuring a variety of experimental electronic music, performed by a synth musician drawing from the “black, queer diaspora” and others, as well as a visual installation. The makeshift, two-story venue, described by one attendee as “a dim and cluttered area with a maze of furniture, canvas paintings on the walls and papier-mâché hanging from the ceilings”, had only two exits and no ventilation.Diego Aguilar-Canabal, 24, a blogger and freelance writer who lives in Berkeley and plays guitar in a band called the Noriegas, explained to the New York Times that he had been to three dozen house and warehouse parties over the past two years. “The basic idea is people want to do loud things late at night, and industrial space is really good for that because there aren’t many neighbors to complain,” he said. “There’s a lot of anxiety about income inequality and class warfare, and a lot of these artists are trying to do the best they can to have a community.”As of the time of publication, the death toll has been reported at 24, though the search for bodies is ongoing and will likely take several days to complete. If you are from the San Francisco/Oakland area, be sure to contact your loved ones and let them know you’re OK, as we wait with heavy hearts for responders to complete their search. Our hearts go out to all those affected by this tragedy.[Photo via @Oaklandfirelive]last_img read more

Read More

Italy Migrants Crisis: Thousands of Migrants Hope To Get Into Europe

first_imgThe crossing is incredibly dangerous because of the poor condition of the boats and the overcrowding. Still, thousands of Africans cross the Mediterranean each year. While many wait at holding camps on the Italian coast, others get to go inland after they’ve been processed to begin their new and better lives.last_img

Read More

Ireland’s Peter O’Mahony ruled out of World Cup

first_img “The coaches did meet this morning and discuss a number of different options.” Flanker O’Brien’s citing was confirmed by World Rugby on Monday evening, with a disciplinary hearing set for Tuesday lunchtime in London. Independent judicial officer Terry Willis will hear O’Brien’s case, with Ireland boss Joe Schmidt revealing hopes on Sunday that the combative Leinster flanker could avoid sanction. France coach Philippe Saint-Andre has branded O’Brien’s clash with Pape an “assault”, but Schmidt claimed his back-rower had connected with an “open hand”. Ireland’s chances of beating the ebullient Pumas would be sorely tested should Schmidt’s men be forced to cope without O’Brien, as well as O’Mahony and O’Connell. Ireland are yet to name a replacement for centre Jared Payne, but started their cavalry call by adding 24-year-old Ruddock to their ranks to offset the loss of O’Mahony. Andrew Trimble is in the frame to slot in for Payne, ruled out with a fractured foot, while Dan Tuohy could be lined up to slot in for O’Connell. O’Connell’s Test career appears to be at an end after 108 caps. The 35-year-old was due to retire from the Test arena at the end of the competition, but the severity of his injury will surely accelerate that process. The Toulon-bound second row beat the Millennium Stadium turf in anguish and anger after suffering his injury, before being carried off on a stretcher at half-time during Sunday’s France clash. Full-back Rob Kearney accepted O’Connell’s World Cup was effectively at an end, admitting Ireland will suffer in his absence. “There’s not much I can say here now in the next 30 seconds that can give testament to his contribution to Irish rugby and this World Cup,” Kearney said. “Of course if he is ruled out it’s going to be a monumental loss to us. “The form he’s in is superb. He looks as though he’s really enjoying his rugby too, and you always say when guys look like they’re really enjoying what they’re doing that’s generally when they get the best out of themselves. “If it is the case it would be massively gutting and disappointing, and we’d have lost one of our key players.” Kearney hailed O’Connell for “beaming ear to ear” at Ireland’s victory, despite fearing the worst on a personal front. “I suppose the fact that he’s been around more than any of us at World Cups, it is difficult for him,” Kearney said, accepting O’Connell’s fate. “We felt awful for him, but I think it was great to see the sheer delight on his face after the game in terms of what we’d achieved as opposed to feeling sorry for himself.” Press Association The staggering collateral damage from Sunday’s superlative 24-9 victory over France could see as many as three fresh faces join Ireland’s World Cup squad as injury replacements. O’Mahony flew home to Cork on Monday after suffering knee ligament damage, to be replaced by Leinster’s Rhys Ruddock, while O’Connell was awaiting merely the formalities of confirmation that both his tournament and Test career were over. Ireland captain O’Connell spent Sunday night in hospital with a “significant hamstring injury”, and flanker O’Brien was cited for appearing to punch France lock Pascal Pape. “Paul O’Connell appears to have suffered a significant hamstring injury and was hospitalised overnight. He’s having scans later today to clarify the extent of the injury,” team manager Mick Kearney said on Monday. “Peter O’Mahony has suffered a knee ligament injury and is returning to Dublin today for specialist opinion and will take no further part in the tournament. “Johnny Sexton suffered a groin injury, initial clinical assessment is encouraging and we await scanning later today. “After an incredibly physical encounter a host of players are reporting bumps and soreness and will have to be managed, but nothing more serious than that. “As soon as we have more clarity on the injury front we will be in a position to make decisions on replacement players. “At the moment, definitively, only Peter O’Mahony has been ruled out. Paul was in hospital overnight and he was obviously very sore. “In relation to Jared Payne’s replacement, that’s similar too. I’d be pretty sure that a decision would be made later today. Ireland will lose twin enforcers Peter O’Mahony and Paul O’Connell from their World Cup campaign to serious injury, while Sean O’Brien could miss the quarter-final with Argentina over disciplinary wrangles. last_img read more

Read More

Heisman not out of reach for Barkley

first_imgRe-entering the Heisman Trophy race is more challenging for Matt Barkley now than in August, you might say.Though setting a Pac-12 and program record for career touchdown passes in USC’s last matchup, a 44-point home win over Colorado, the senior quarterback faces a rather stiff challenge in the hope of becoming the eighth Trojan to win college football’s most prestigious and coveted individual award.Not out · Senior quarterback Matt Barkley can get back in the Heisman trophy race against Arizona, who surrenders 30.4 points per game. – Sean Roth | Daily TrojanTwo months ago, Barkley was pitted as the clear frontrunner for the Heisman, as USC stood atop the Associated Press preseason top 25 poll, and was expected to finish the season playing in the BCS national championship game.But Barkley’s candidacy suffered a rather crushing blow by mid-September following a 21-14 loss at Stanford, the Trojans’ fourth consecutive defeat at the hands of the Cardinal and lone blemish this season.And so his stock dropped, rather considerably.“It was especially the style in which they lost,” said Chris Huston, a Heisman Trophy analyst for CBSSports.com and founder of Heismanpundit.com. “It wasn’t like a shootout where he was doing everything he could to keep his team in the game. It was a situation in which this mighty USC offense, with all this talent, was flummoxed.”Against the Cardinal, Barkley finished 20 of 41 passing, throwing for 254 yards and two interceptions, two plays USC coach Lane Kiffin called afterward “probably two of his worst decisions” at any point during the last three years.In the wake of the unexpected early season stumble in Palo Alto, USC has won four consecutive games, moving back into the top-10 of the polls, and so Barkley, who should own essentially every meaningful school passing record by the end of the season, is far from out of the running — at least according to the Trojans’ third-year coach.Kiffin suggested during his post-practice news conference Tuesday that Barkley could play his way back into the race provided he performs in a similar fashion as he did against the Buffaloes last Saturday.“Like I’ve said all along, the Heisman is a full body of work for the whole year,” Kiffin said. “Everyone wants to figure it out way early. There’s been a lot of Heisman runs, including here, late in the year.”The senior signal caller was near-perfect versus Colorado, completing 19 of 20 passes for 298 yards and six touchdowns, equaling the school single-game touchdown mark for the fourth time in his career.“We’ll wait and see,” added Kiffin. “Obviously, if he keeps playing the way he did, I think everybody will be happy.”Through seven games, Barkley has posted similar numbers at this point one season ago, when he would eventually finish sixth in the voting, along with 11 first-place votes, narrowly missing out on a trip to New York City as one of five finalists.This season, he’s thrown for 1,773 yards, 22 touchdowns and six interceptions, compared to the 2,006 yards, 19 touchdowns and four interceptions by this mark in 2011.Asked Tuesday if he had thought about the race much recently, Barkley offered a simple response: “Nah, it’s not my job.”But as Kiffin referenced, USC has had quarterbacks make a late push for the award, perhaps most evidenced by Carson Palmer during his Heisman-winning season in 2002. In Palmer’s final two games against rivals UCLA and Notre Dame, he threw for a total of  679 yards and eight touchdowns, catapulting him past Iowa’s Brad Banks.And so Barkley, who at the moment sits behind favorites Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein and West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith in most Heisman rankings, could face a similar opportunity for late resume-boosting performances. Both No. 4 Oregon and the No. 5 Fighting Irish come to the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum next month for primetime, nationally televised showdowns, as well as a potential Pac-12 championship game on Nov. 30, an opportunity the Trojans didn’t have last season because of a postseason ban.For the time being, USC has kept Barkley out in the weeks following the loss to Stanford. Entering the season, the school launched a mobile app titled “PROJECT TRO7AN,” playing off Barkley’s No. 7 jersey number, and has continued producing the online video series “Barkley Breakdown” and “Matt Versus.” Neither is technically Heisman promotional material, but instead ways to look at the team “through Matt’s eyes,” according to USC Sports Information Director Tim Tessalone.Still, how Barkley finishes will likely speak the loudest, especially when it comes to wooing voters.“You always have to just strike when the iron’s hot,” Tessalone said, “and it’s not hot quite yet.”So, with at least five games remaining on the slate, the toughest tests await the Pac-12’s newest career leader in touchdown passes. In short, his team will have to win and he’ll have to play particularly well to boot.As Huston explained, “Voters are waiting to see if USC is actually going to win anything with Matt Barkley, to give those numbers context and meaning. They’re impressed by the numbers but they want to see that these numbers led to X, Y and Z. If ‘SC wins out and does so in convincing fashion, those numbers start to look a lot better.”last_img read more

Read More