Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Bay Park Sewage Treatment PlantNassau County lawmakers failed to reach an agreement Monday to borrow $360 million to fix the Bay Park Sewage Treatment Plant electrical system, which has been running on temporary repairs since Superstorm Sandy.Democrats in the Republican-controlled legislature argued over the funds with aides for County Executive Ed Mangano, who has requested $722 million to fix and upgrade the plant, before voting down the borrowing—then tabled the measure, meaning it will be taken up again at another meeting.“I’ve heard a lot of discussion about our side delaying the process,” said Legis. Kevan Abrahams (D-Freeport), the Democratic legislative minority leader. “There was money allotted in previous years. We’re trying to figure out what happened to that money.”Abrahams was referring to $357 million in borrowing that was authorized but never spent on prior sewage plant projects. He and fellow Democrats grilled Mangano administration officials about that and why the $262 million the legislature passed three weeks ago wasn’t brought before the Nassau Interim Finance Authority for final approval last week.Timothy Sullivan, the deputy county executive for finance, said that contractors are still bidding on the projects approved by the legislature last month, but NIFA needs specific pricing weeks in advance of their next meeting before that New York State-appointed fiscal control board signs off on the measure.As for using the $357 million in previously approved borrowing for new repair projects, he said: “My understanding is that that would be illegal,” citing state local finance law.Department of Public Works officials were unsuccessful in convincing the Democratic hold-outs of how perilous the situation is at the plant, which flooded homes and waterways with sewage and was offline for more than a month after Sandy.“Without a fully functioning electrical system, the Bay Park plant is in peril every day,” said Rich Millet, the deputy commissioner of the public works department. “Different parts of it fail every day.”The Federal Emergency Management Agency is expected to reimburse the county for most of the repairs.Environmentalists with Vision Long Island, Operation SPLASH (short for Stop Polluting Littering And Save Harbors) and Citizens Campaign for the Environment urged lawmakers to put aside the politics for the sake of residents, 500,000 of whom are served by the plant.“What this looks like is a mess,” said Adrienne Esposito, executive director of CCE. “Cross examining people here doesn’t look to be too fruitful… It doesn’t look like we’ve made much progress today.”The legislature is scheduled to have holds its committee meeting Sept. 9 and its next full legislative meeting Sept. 23, although Presiding Officer Norma Gonsalves (R-East Meadow) alluded to the issue being taken up again soon.
Brett issued two messages to Merrifield — one prerecorded from a TV studio and one from his home.”I couldn’t be more proud of you, and I couldn’t be more proud of what you’ve become,” Brett said. “Congratulations. I hope you make it a lot further than 31 games.”After completing their series against the Mariners on Thursday, Merrifield and the Royals will face the Indians this weekend. Cleveland features one of the best rotations in baseball and could offer a strong challenge to the 30-year-old’s streak. Royals utility player Whit Merrifield broke one of George Brett’s franchise records Wednesday, bunting for a two-out, RBI single Wednesday to extend his hitting streak to 31 games.After not playing a full MLB season until age 28, Merrifield has become a standout on an otherwise bleak Kansas City team. He has consistently reached base (.378 OBP prior to Wednesday) and led the league in stolen bases the past two campaigns. This past offseason, he was rewarded with a contract extension.Merrifield’s record-breaking moment Wednesday night served as his best moment to date with the franchise.Whit Merrifield has a 31-game hit streak.That’s a Royals record.pic.twitter.com/fuBFN9Xg05— Sporting News MLB (@SN Studio_mlb) April 11, 2019MORE: Watch ‘ChangeUp,’ a new MLB live whiparound show on DAZN
(Kamil KrzaczynskiAFP/Getty Images) https://images.daznservices.com/di/library/sporting_news/14/10/jurgen-klopp-071819-getty-ftrjpg_b1vujnpnap4f131bqrcq3wq6i.jpg?t=133414964&w=500&quality=80 Friday night at Notre Dame Stadium, Liverpool will play Borussia Dortmund in the third game of its preseason and the first of its three-game tour of the United States.Watch Liverpool-Dortmund live on fuboTV (7-day free trial) “They’re pretty close to each other. You see it, of course,” manager Jurgen Klopp told the media Thursday. “They were all happy to see each other again. So that’s all good. Holiday is good, important — true. And maybe the first two weeks you don’t think about anything else than about holiday. But then for all of us we started getting excited again, looking forward to the season.”Liverpool is moving quickly toward a season that in some ways will be the busiest in its history. The club will play in seven different competitions with a trophy at stake, albeit two of those will be transacted in a single day.Annually the winners of the Premier League and FA Cup meet in the FA Community Shield match that represents a start to the English soccer season. Manchester City won both, which means the second-place finisher in the Premier League gets invited. Having ended the 2018-19 league season a single point behind the winners, Liverpool will face Man City on Aug. 4. In the NBA now, dealing with this sort of thing is called “load management.” If Liverpool were to remain active to the finals in all the cup competitions, it literally could be playing two full seasons’ worth of games.”Hopefully we can,” Klopp said. “But that’s all that I can say about that. Before the season, it’s always the same. It would be great if we could use the whole squad throughout the whole season. That would make life much easier. MORE: John Barnes wishes Premier League glory for Reds”Yeah, the number of games sounds big. Games, we never try to avoid. We’re happy about having as much as possible. That’s how it is — that means you have a very successful season. The league will always be the main focus, because we play most of the games there. There’s no team in the league where we can say, ‘Let’s send the kids there,’ or whatever. All these games are so competitive and so close.”Nobody can take away from us that we won the Champions League, but it will not help us a lot in the new season.” NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The offseason, as glorious as it was, lasted 36 days. That’s all. It almost was cruel to require Liverpool FC to return to training so soon after winning the UEFA Champions League title on that glorious evening in Madrid, but the June 1 date for that game against Tottenham Hotspur and the Aug. 9 Premier League opener against Norwich City assured the Reds’ celebration would be brief.Think about it. The New England Patriots report to camp in a week. They’ll have had enjoyed five months and 22 days of championship bliss by the time they’re again dealing with Bill Belichick on a full-time basis, and it’ll be another two weeks after that before the Patriots must play anyone in an exhibition game. LIVERPOOL PRESEASON: Transfers, rumors, PL fixturesThe winners of the Champions League and Europa League meet in the UEFA Super Cup. That will pit Liverpool against Chelsea on Aug. 14 in Istanbul.Neither is a must-win game, but the fact the Reds will play league rivals in each of them also figures to mandate significant efforts.Along with chasing its first Premier League title, there are the domestic cup competitions: the FA Cup and the Carabao Cup. And becoming champions of Europe also guarantees entry to the FIFA Club World Cup, which will be contested in mid-December in Qatar.
Former world No. 1 Andy Murray has announced he will make his singles comeback in the Cincinnati Masters, which starts Sunday.Murray suggested he was facing likely retirement during an emotional news conference at the Australian Open in January, but the Briton has gradually offered a more optimistic outlook since undergoing hip resurfacing surgery and making a successful return as a doubles player. Just five months on from his major operation, the 32-year-old won the men’s doubles at Queen’s Club in June alongside Feliciano Lopez.He then also featured in the men’s and mixed doubles at Wimbledon, partnering with Serena Williams in the latter, before playing in the Citi Open alongside brother Jamie and teaming up with Lopez again at the Rogers Cup.Murray has now determined he is ready to try his hand at competitive singles action once again, confirming on Facebook that he had accepted a wild card into the Cincinnati Masters.”That feeling when you accept a wildcard for the singles in Cinci,” Murray posted on his official Facebook page, together with the hashtags “#LetsDoThis” and “#HereWeGo”.mood when we heard @andy_murray was returning to singles at @CincyTennis pic.twitter.com/hLoJZNtRCa— US Open Tennis (@usopen) August 9, 2019The announcement is sure to fuel speculation over Murray’s potential participation in the U.S. Open, a tournament he won in 2012 to claim the first of his three Grand Slam titles to date.He went on to win Wimbledon twice after that breakthrough success at Flushing Meadows, his first triumph in 2013 ending a 77-year wait for a British men’s singles champion at the grass-court slam. Murray reached the top of the world rankings in November 2016 before his long-term hip issues became more debilitating.After undergoing hip surgery in January 2018, Murray struggled in his comeback and cut a disconsolate figure in Melbourne this year when he suggested his illustrious career was coming to an end.However, Murray described his latest operation, which has left him pain-free, as “life-changing” and he is now on the brink of completing a remarkable return to top-level singles action.