Last month, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan instructed his city officials to submit a list of buildings readily available to be converted into isolation facilities.According to the Jakarta Governance Bureau, Jakarta’s five municipalities and its one regency have proposed a total of 253 sites that can be converted into communal isolation shelters.Officials have scoured the city for potential isolation houses to anticipate a lack of facilities, as the number of cases still climbs in the capital despite weak government claims of a leveling off in the rate of COVID-19 infections.The buildings range from official residences to sports fields and training centers, as well as schools and child-friendly public spaces (RPTRA). The heads of the Pela Mampang and Bangka subdistrict administrations, local authorities in leafy South Jakarta, have been forced to move back into their private homes.Their official residences, although newly renovated, cannot be used because medical workers have taken up occupancy there, said Mampang Prapatan district head Jaharudin.The houses, handily transformed into makeshift quarantine facilities, are just two of the many buildings being prepared by the Jakarta administration to temporarily house people who cannot self-isolate or are suspected of transmitting COVID-19. The move also follows a decision in March to convert Wisma Atlet Kemayoran, the former athletes village in Central Jakarta, into a makeshift hospital with a capacity to take in 3,000 patients who are asymptomatic or show only mild COVID-19 symptoms. As of Monday, Wisma Atlet had hosted over 850 patients.Jakarta has 714 intensive care units and 657 isolation wards spread across 190 hospitals. Of this figure, only 172 hospitals are allowed to take in suspected patients while only 100 hospitals qualify to care for confirmed cases.As of Tuesday, Jakarta had 4,687 cases with 409 deaths.The capital has recorded a cumulative total of 3,095 people who tested positive for COVID-19 and patients treated in hospital.The rest of the confirmed cases have gone into self-quarantine, while another 228 people are under surveillance, although their whereabouts and whether or not they have self-isolated are unknown.The Jakarta Health Agency will be examining the proposed sites to ensure they meet health standards for quarantine before use, while the administration continues to prioritize sending patients to referral hospitals and the Wisma Atlet facility.It remains unclear how many buildings have been given the green light, but the agency’s public health department head Fify Mulyani said that task forces had been set up to prepare sites in all areas except West Jakarta and the Thousand Islands regency.“[Preparations] are under way,” Fify told The Jakarta Post on Monday.Based on the agency-approved guidelines, a communal isolation house should either be a permanent or semi-permanent building equipped with bathroom and kitchen facilities, as well as adequate air circulation and access to electricity and clean water.Authorities must also have systems in place to keep the facility secure.Mampang Prapatan’s Jaharudin said medical workers were allowed to take up residency at the two official residences in Pela Mampang and Bangka because no local residents were flagged for isolation.Jaharudin had also put in a request to convert a local 360-room training facility under the government’s management.“It is important to have the building’s owner and the community from the surrounding area agree with the proposal,” he said.“It’s all about the stigma; some people think that the disease is transmitted through the air, but someone under quarantine is prohibited from going outside, right?”Densely populated Jakarta continues to be the national epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, helped along by minimal knowledge of the disease and a significant number of workers who cannot afford to shelter in place.Mayors in Jakarta have acknowledged the issue, saying public support is of utmost importance.In North Jakarta, the local government plans to convert a number of buildings, including two empty towers in the Nagrak low-cost rental apartment (Rusunawa) complex in Cilincing.Local officials have given an assurance that the intended isolation houses located 500 meters away from other occupied towers are far enough.“Even if there are empty units in other low-cost apartments, we wouldn’t recommend them to be used [as isolation rooms] so as to keep other tenants safe,” said Parjoko, the acting chief of the Jakarta Housing and Settlement Agency.Meanwhile, the city’s education agency has proposed the use of 136 school buildings, which has sparked criticism among Jakarta councillors.Council Speaker Prasetyo Edi Marsudi from the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) demanded that the administration pull the plug on that plan, fearing further viral transmission as many schools are located in residential areas.Only one school in Tidung Island in Thousand Islands has reportedly been used to house five people under surveillance.The city’s governance bureau head Premi Lasari acknowledged that there were objections at the neighborhood level.“There was some opposition, but we managed to disseminate information [about the plan] in a persuasive manner with the help of the authorities, local figures and community health center officers,” Premi said.The chairman of the Jakarta RT/RW Forum, Muhammad Irsyad, also played down objections at the community level, arguing that they mostly came down to a lack of knowledge about the disease.“There’s no need to worry because isolation shelters have their own health standards,” Irsyad insisted.“When there are no more [sheltering patients, authorities] will sterilize the property before returning it into its original state.”Topics :
The Americans defeated New Zealand, Lithuania and Senegal by an average of 29 points. Their greatest concern in trying to regain the gold medal won in 2009, 2013 and 2015 is whether they can shoot well enough to win the biggest games. Their 3-point percentage of .204 ranks 15th out of 16 teams. Iowa State’s Tyrese Haliburton has been the team’s one consistent player from long range; he is 6 of 11 through three games, although he was scoreless against Senegal. 10 of the 12 players on the roster have not made even two 3-pointers.That could be problematic against a team such as France or Serbia, which were stuck together in Group D. Although Serbia finished pool play undefeated, same as the USA, they could meet in Saturday’s semifinal round. A balanced scoring effort led a dominant second half that dropped Senegal from a six-point deficit just minutes after halftime into an 87-58 defeat Tuesday in Crete, Greece. The U.S. got 14 points each from Jalen Suggs, a point guard from Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis and Jalen Green, a wing from Prolific Prep in California, as well as 11 points and 9 rebounds from Purdue center Trevion Williams and 10 points from Oklahoma State guard Isaac Likekele. Mississippi State power forward Reggie Perry delivered 9 points and 8 rebounds for the U.S.MORE: Zion Williamson, Ja Morant listed as Rookie of the Year favoritesThe U.S. outscored Senegal by 27 points in the second half.The Americans did a poor job on the boards, allowing Senegal to bring down 31 offensive rebounds, 50 percent of the available total. They made up for that by forcing 27 turnovers. Three games. Three wins. Three blowouts. But that doesn’t make pool play of the 2019 FIBA U19 World Cup any different than most of these tournaments for the United States junior national team.What always has been decisive for USA Basketball has been the medal rounds, which start Wednesday, with the U.S. seeded as the No. 1 team in Group A against Group B fourth-place team Latvia. The Americans stand four wins from regaining the U19 world championship that has belonged to Canada since RJ Barrett beat them almost singlehandedly in 2017.
By Shane Farley, Newscow.net â€” A Winfield woman has pleaded guilty to a federal charge in connection with an online prostitution sting investigators conducted last year.25-year-old Brittany L. Morris pleaded guilty to a count of misprision of a felony.In her plea, Morris admitted arranging for herself and a 17-year-old girl to meet officers at a hotel off K-10 Highway near Eudora to exchange sex acts for money. The arrangement was made on April 11, 2013 when undercover agents called to respond to an advertisement online.Once at the hotel, Morris told officers the price would be $600 an hour. Once arrested, officers learned the girl with her was 17.The charge stems from Morris failing to report that a child was working as a prostitute. Investigators determined the unnamed girl had worked in New Orleans, Wichita and Kansas City with Morris.Both Morris and the girl posted advertisements on the Internet offering their services.Sentencing is set for Feb. 18 and both Morris and federal prosecutors have agreed to recommend a sentence of 8 to 14 months.Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments
By Devina SamarooA newly formed animal rights group is calling on the public to help with the elimination of the use of loud fireworks and other explosives typically used during the New Year celebration.Firecrackers on sale at Stabroek MarketThe Animal Rescue Adoption and Protection Society (ARAPS) is also calling on the Government of Guyana to lead by example and not use loud fireworks to beckon 2020.“There are alternatives to the use of fireworks, such as silent fireworks, laser lights, and drones, the organisation said.Fireworks mark various celebrations all over the world.It is unclear where fireworks originated but most historians believe it was invented in China and that the Chinese initially believed that it could be used to scare away evil spirits.In Guyana, firecrackers and fireworks are widely used for a number of festivals such as New Year, Diwali and the country’s Republic and Independence Anniversaries.More so, a lot of residents indulge in the usage of these explosive devices, though some were banned many years ago.Despite the ban, firecrackers and other explosives are prominently displayed and widely sold throughout peak seasons.Just in October 2019, the Guyana Police Force issued a reminder, warning that vendors caught selling these goods will be arrested and charged.The Force reflected that in the past, the devices have caused grievous bodily harm to adults and children.Harm to AnimalsBut according to the ARAPS, it also results in significant harm to animals.It pointed out that the function of hearing in animals is much more sensitive than it is in humans.“Fireworks can emit sounds of up to 190 decibels (110 to 115 decibels above the range of 75 to 80 decibels where the damage to the human ear begins) and can lead to the loss of hearing and tinnitus.”As a result, the explosions of fireworks are not only more painful to them but can cause severe damage to their hearing.In addition to these impairments, the sound effects of fireworks cause animals to become anxious and timid, the organisation explained.“Repetitive exposure to unexpected, random massive sonances can generate phobias in many animals, increasing panic reactions.”For instance, dogs are capable of hearing up to 60,000hz, while humans cannot hear anything above 20,000hz.“This auditory acuity of dogs is one of the reasons the sound of fireworks can be so harmful to them, displaying signs of overwhelming anxiety as they are unable to escape from the noise,” ARAPS stated.Common reactions are freezing or paralysis, uncontrolled attempts to escape and hide, and tremors.Other more intense signs may also be present, such as salivation, tachycardia, emotional vocalisations, urination or defecation, heightened activity, hyper-alertness, and gastrointestinal disorders.Horses have a very similar reaction to dogs. They can suddenly feel threatened by fireworks due to their hypervigilance since they are always on high alert.“As a result, horses and dogs tend to try to flee, potentially causing damage to property, traffic accidents, and severe harm to themselves,” ARAPS explained.Birds also affected“The noise of firecrackers can cause birds to experience tachycardia and even death by fright. The high degree of stress birds encounter indicates by the fact that birds may temporarily or permanently abandon their nesting areas, causing them to crash into a building and to experience disorientation.” And in many cases, animals may take weeks to recover from that traumatising experience.AlternativesWhile many look forward to the colourful display in the night skies, there are quieter alternatives.In 2018, the city of Banff ditched its conventional fireworks display for a “quiet fireworks” show for Canada Day.Basically, the vibrant flashy colours remained while the traditional bangs, crackles and whistles were minimised.And other options like lasers and drones guarantee a similar ‘firework’ experience without damage to animals and even the environment.American cities in states like California, Arizona and Colorado used drones to put on light shows for the Fourth of July last year to reduce the likelihood of wildfires.However, these alternatives do come with challenges.Quiet fireworks may not go as high as traditional fireworks due to weaker chemical composition. And, drones and lasers are expensive. For drones, each display may need over 100 devices and it will have to be programmed and tested before the real show.AppealBut when it comes to firecrackers, the animal rights organisation is urging persons not to use them.“This New Year, animals are at your mercy, please do not use loud bombs,” ARAPS pleaded.“Furthermore, please ensure that children or even adults do not play pranks by throwing bombs at animals or tying crackers to their tails. Yes, this has happened in the past,” the organisation pointed out.ARAPS is also advising pet owners to keep their pets indoors and supervised to prevent them from escaping.“Let us all strive to be smarter and better human beings by caring for our voiceless friends. Use this season of celebrating goodness, affection, and the act of kindness to spread happiness and inclusivity, and collectively be a citizenry that cares and respects all living things.”ARAPS was formed in November 2019 by a group of animal activists including Shari Rodrigues Dasilva, Alana Singh, Nikie Ramnarace, Tricia Azaire, Melissa Ramdeen, Kesharie Singh, Tammy Quail, Saleema Haniff, Nicole Patricia, Syeada Manbodh, Noreen Gaskin and Micaela Ross.Its mission focuses on eradicating animal cruelty while promoting awareness, rescue aids, and housing for all animals.
2009 turned out to be a slightly better than average precipitation year in Fort St. John.We recorded 474.4 millimeters, 8.8, above the 12-month average. We also had better than average snowfall with the 30.7 centimeters last month, just below the December norm, pushing the yearly total to 229.3.That’s nearly 44 more than the annual average and we recorded snow in all but three months, June, July and August. The greatest amount, was the 49.9cm.- Advertisement -We had 75.1 millimeters in September, including 6.6 centimters of snow. The 2009 numbers were much better than the previous below average year. We recorded nearly 53 more centimeters of snow and one hundred more millimeters of precipitation, than in 2008.