Newcastle have completed the signing of forward Siem de Jong from Eredivisie champions Ajax. De Jong joins Tenerife striker Ayoze Perez and Sunderland midfielder Jack Colback in joining the Magpies this summer as boss Alan Pardew looks to win over the fans following what was seen by many as a disappointing campaign last term. “We are absolutely overjoyed to bring Siem to the club because he will give us intelligence in the final third and create goalscoring situations, which we lacked towards the end of last season,” Pardew said. “It is a big signing for this club. Siem brings massive experience from Ajax. I think our fans are going to enjoy the way he plays and I cannot wait to start working with him.” De Jong played almost 250 times for Ajax, scoring 78 goals, and has netted twice in six appearances for his country. Press Association “Newcastle United have completed the signing of Ajax captain Siem de Jong,” read a statement from the club. “The 25-year-old Dutch international attacking midfielder has moved to Tyneside for an undisclosed fee, signing a six-year deal at St James’ Park.” De Jong’s younger brother Luuk struggled to make an impact for Newcastle after signing on loan in January, but De Jong senior is relishing the challenge of the Premier League. “It is great to have signed for Newcastle,” he said. “It is a big club which my brother told me all about, so I already feel good here. “I had been at Ajax a long time and wanted a new challenge in a new environment and a new country. “Coming to Newcastle is a great opportunity and the chance to play for a club like this in the Premier League was one I could not turn down. “I am looking forward to starting training and meeting my new team-mates and hopefully we can have a successful season.” The 25-year-old Holland international moves to Tyneside for an undisclosed fee and has penned a six-year deal at St James’ Park. De Jong came through the Amsterdammers’ fabled youth system and has won four Dutch titles since making his debut in 2007, assuming the captaincy in 2012.
Neither of the relievers has yet reached the majors, which means the Angels could have a full six years of major league control over each. Both pitchers have options remaining for at least one more year, which gives them valuable flexibility.They are the second and third pitchers added to the system in the past week, joining 21-year-old Patrick Sandoval, who came in the Maldonado trade.Although the Angels were expected to compete for a playoff spot this year, they have slipped to 54-53, 9-1/2 games out of the race for the second AL wild card.The Angels could continue moving players before Tuesday’s 1 p.m. PT non-waiver trade deadline, although the rest of their attractive players are all under control for next year, which means the Angels would be more inclined to want to keep them. Eppler said Buttrey “looks pretty darn close to major league-ready.” He added that he throws 96 mph, and tops out at 99 mph, and has a solid slider.Jerez was named the 23rd best prospect in the Boston system by MLB.com. He has 67 strikeouts in 51-1/3 innings. Jerez throws 95 mph and touches 100 mph, Eppler said. He also throws a slider and a changeup.Related Articles Mike Trout, with bat and glove, helps Angels end losing streak ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The Angels traded Ian Kinsler to the Boston Red Sox on Monday night for two pitching prospects, the team’s second deal in five days to unload an impending free agent.Kinsler, 36, follows Martin Maldonado, who was sent to the Houston Astros, as the Angels appear to continue to look toward the future.The Angels got right-hander Ty Buttrey and left-hander Williams Jerez from the Red Sox. Both were at Triple-A. Buttrey, 25, had a 2.25 ERA in 32 games out of the bullpen. Jerez, 26, had a 3.68 ERA in 33 games in relief.“I really think the world of (Kinsler),” General Manager Billy Eppler said. “It was difficult, but we’re excited about the players we’re getting back and the potential for their impact at some point here in the future.” Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.The Angels also reportedly sent the Red Sox $1.8 million in cash to help cover the remainder of Kinsler’s salary for 2018, which is about $3.6 million.Kinsler helps fill the void left by Dustin Pedroia, who has been injured for most of the season. Although Kinsler got off to a slow start offensively, he hit .286 with an .866 OPS over the past two months.David Fletcher is likely to move over to become the everyday second baseman in Kinsler’s absence, although Eppler said only that they would announce their plans on Tuesday. Kaleb Cowart, who was pulled from the game at Triple-A Salt Lake on Monday, is expected to come to the majors to fill Kinsler’s roster spot. If the Angels do move Fletcher to second, they could use some combination of Cowart, Luis Valbuena or Jefry Marte at third.Taylor Ward, one of the Angels’ fastest-rising prospects this season, also could be promoted to play third at some point over the season’s final two months. Ward has hit .350 with a .991 OPS this season, splitting his time between Double-A and Triple-A.Buttrey was named the Red Sox organization’s 19th best prospect recently by MLB.com. This season he has struck out 64 times and walked 14 times in 44 innings with Pawtucket, Boston’s Triple-A team. Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros Clippers, Mavericks brace for the unknown in Game 4 Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error