爱上海,上海419论坛,上海龙凤419 - Powered by 上海千花mm自荐

Bangladesh fire kills dozens in historic district

first_imgA fast-moving fire has swept through a historic district of Bangladesh’s capital Dhaka, killing at least 60.The blaze broke out Wednesday evening in a multi-storey residential building with the ground floor reportedly used to store flammable chemicals.According to local media, the fire quickly spread to nearby buildings.Authorities have told the BBC on Thursday morning that the death toll stood at 60 but that the fire had been brought under control.The fire might have originated from a gas cylinder before quickly spreading through the building where chemicals were stored, the country’s fire service chief Ali Ahmed told AFP.The blaze raced through four adjoining buildings, he said.“There was a traffic jam when the fire broke out. It spread so quickly that people could not escape.”According to the Dhaka Tribune the building housed a plastics warehouse full of flammable material.The centuries-old Chawkbazar area of Dhaka characteristically has very narrow streets and residential buildings only inches apart.Victims also included people outside the buildings, some guests at a restaurant and members of a bridal party, deputy commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police Ibrahim Khan told AFP.Many of the victims were trapped in the buildings, according to reports, unable to escape the flames.Bangladesh has a persistent problem with building safety regulations not being followed.In 2013, more than 1,100 people died and thousands more were injured when a building housing garment factories called Rana Plaza in Dhaka collapsed. (BBC)last_img read more

Read More

Planners impressed with hospital consultation turnout

first_imgBy Christine Rumleskie- Advertisement -More than 30 residents attended an information session on the new Fort St. John Hospital project that’s currently under construction. The ‘Neighbourhood Community Committee’ meeting was held in the current hospital’s boardroom on Wednesday night. It was designed to allow consultation with residents who live nearby the construction grounds.Members from Northern Health, the City of Fort St. John, and developer ISL Health, were on hand to answer questions from the public.Project Manager for Northern Health, Tom Sparrow, says he was impressed with the way resident’s engaged in the consultation.[asset|aid=2508|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=7c7cc4f339da340d7c2cd4d512431b28-Sparrow 2_4_Pub.mp3] Advertisement [asset|aid=2509|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=7c7cc4f339da340d7c2cd4d512431b28-Sparrow 1_5_Pub.mp3] Sparrow says there’s going to be plenty more consultation sessions, as planners want to make up several committees to engage the entire City.The consultation dates will be announced in the near future. The project broke ground last spring, and should be complete by 2012. A residential care facility is included in the design plan.Many residents had questions relating to road closures, as well as routes that would be used during the construction process.Others were impressed to find out that the wood used to make the facility would be purchased from the local mill.Sparrow added that since many of the developers live in Fort St. John, most of the questions that were asked at the committee meeting were anticipated.Advertisement Photo: This hospital diorama was on display, as concerned residents listened intently to an update from Northern Health and ISL on Wednesday – Christine Rumleskie/Energeticcity.calast_img read more

Read More

Cristiano Ronaldo rape lawsuit dropped

first_imgThe filing did not say whether the accuser, American woman Kathryn Mayorga, had reached a settlement with Ronaldo.Mayorga filed a complaint in September last year alleging she was sexually assaulted by Ronaldo in 2009 in a Las Vegas hotel.Ronaldo, 34, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid player, strongly denied the accusations.Mayorga said last year that while she had agreed to a finanical settlement with Ronaldo shortly after the alleged incident, her emotional trauma at the time did not allow her to participate in the mediation process.Following her renewed accusations, Las Vegas police re-opened an investigation.Ronaldo is one of the biggest stars of world football and is a five-time winner of the Ballon d’Or award for the world’s best player.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Cristiano Ronaldo rape lawsuit droppedWASHINGTON, United States, June 5 -The rape lawsuit against Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo has been dropped, according to a report from Bloomberg on Wednesday.A notice of voluntary dismissal was filed last month in Nevada state court in Las Vegas.last_img read more

Read More

150 District Constables to be Recruited

first_imgSome 150 District Constables are to be recruited as part of efforts to strengthen community policing.Minister of National Security, Hon. Robert Montague, explains that the recruitment will fill the vacancies being created by 150 District Constables who are now participating in training to join the Jamaica Constabulary Force.Speaking in the House of Representatives on October 3, Mr. Montague said focus will be placed on recruiting persons who are 50 years and over.“We believe that these persons who are over 50 are stable and well established in the community, and persons will engage them with information. We (will be) targeting the hotspots,” he noted.The Minister said the District Constables will be deployed in their communities to enhance the relationship between citizens and the police.The training of district constables is part of the move to drive effective policing, one of the five pillars of the crime-reduction strategy being implemented by the Ministry of National Security.last_img read more

Read More

Support for Expectant and New Mothers

first_imgExpectant and new mothers have been provided with additional support to ensure safe pregnancies and proper care for their babies, through the ‘Best for Mommy and Baby’ educational booklet.The 20-page manual contains information on best practices for antenatal, postnatal and newborn care, including mother’s pre-birth testing, mother and baby’s nutrition, warning signs during pregnancy, and immunisation.It is part of a public-education initiative being implemented by the Ministry of Health, in collaboration with Fontana Pharmacy, to empower expectant and new parents with the requisite knowledge to provide the best care possible for themselves and their infants.At the Kingston launch on Thursday (October 12) at the University of the West Indies (UWI) Mona campus, Minister of Health, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, said the booklet was born out of the need to ensure that mothers have support and guidance at every stage of pregnancy up to delivery. “It is an important initiative. It is in keeping with the mandate of the Ministry to assist mothers through this critical period by promoting best practices among our expectant, current, future mothers, because we have to begin at an early stage to ensure that public health is effectively served,” he noted.Patron for the Best for Mommy and Baby initiative, the Most Hon. Julia Holness commended the Ministry and its partners on the booklet, which she said, is a valuable resource for first-time mothers and will assist in alleviating the anxiety typically associated with pregnancy.“You are not only impacting the lives of these mothers, you are impacting the lives of generations to come. Through this programme, it is expected that you will see a significant improvement in the number of mothers who access the clinic at the first, second and third trimester,” she said.She noted that the booklet “stresses the importance for expectant mothers to do their regular clinics and visits, and empowers them with the knowledge and skills to take responsibility for themselves and their child’s care”.The booklet, which is being distributed in hospitals and health centres across the island, was piloted at the Mandeville Regional Hospital in Manchester in May. It will be disseminated to 15,000 expectant mothers in the first year.Other launches will be held at the Cornwall Regional Hospital, St. James; Savanna-la-Mar Hospital, Westmoreland; and St. Ann’s Bay Regional Hospital, St. Ann. Manuals are shortly to be distributed to an additional 14 hospitals. Best for Mommy and Baby is an initiative of the Ministry of Health’s Southern Regional Health Authority (SRHA) under its ‘Good Health Begins At Home’ programme, which aims to sensitise and educate parents and caregivers to best practices in establishing a solid foundation for their children’s health and wellness.last_img read more

Read More

A Mets Fan Tries To Control A Cruel And Random Universe

Warning: This post was written by a Mets fan.When Daniel Murphy let a ball bounce beneath his glove in the eighth inning of Game 4 of the World Series, I threw my Mets hat to the ground. It was ostensibly the pivotal moment in a 5-3 Royals win, the kind of play that reminded me why other sports have fouls but baseball has errors.We could sit here together and dwell on all the Mets errors: We could wonder how Jeurys Familia, an all-star closer, blew five saves in 48 opportunities during the regular season, but has blown two in two opportunities during the World Series. We could plumb the depths of Yoenis Cespedes’s above-average defensive metrics, and make the case that to measure Cespedes’s true defensive capacity we need a new metric that somehow quantifies a fielder’s nonchalance.1And ideally a fielder’s tendency to kick the ball off his leg when he can’t catch it. And we could spend hours trying to understand Terry Collins’s faith in an eighth-inning set-up man who is allowing a .835 OPS to opposing batters in the postseason. (It seems as though I may spend the next several years doing that.)But instead I want to tell you about my hat. If you read FiveThirtyEight a lot, you know that we’re puritanical about baseball’s playoffs being a crapshoot. They’re a series of games that may or may not be a reflection of a team’s actual quality. Intellectually, I know the same rules of randomness that apply to a baseball also apply to what I wear to watch a game. But the World Series is not a time for intellect.On July 31, the day Cespedes was traded to the Mets, I bought a Minnesota Twins hat at Target Field in Minneapolis. It was a tourist’s purchase – I was in Minnesota for a couple of ballgames with some friends.But the hat started to mean something more. That weekend, the Mets swept the Washington Nationals to tie for first place in the NL East. So I kept wearing the hat. And the Mets kept winning. The Mets went 37-22 to close out the season, and won the NL East despite a 23 percent chance of doing so when I bought the hat. (The rational readers among you will note that they also went 37-22 to close out the season after Cespedes joined the team, but, again, this is not a rational story.)Soon, the Twins hat had replaced my Mets hat. My Mets friends texted me and asked me to wear it when they were feeling nervous about a game. I nearly forgot it on a plane, and felt the Mets season slipping away until I stormed back to retrieve it. At the start of the playoffs, I went on a poorly timed vacation to India, and brought the Twins hat to ensure the Mets advanced.I returned to the U.S. in time for the World Series, and there was no question I’d wear the Twins hat into the heart of a Mets bar for Game 1. Fourteen innings later, the hat wasn’t enough. The Mets lost 5-4.So I put on something different. I went to Game 3 in Citi Field and wore a hat that spelled out M-E-T-S. I had worn it to every Mets home game I attended this year.That Mets hat has its own history, with a winning percentage of about .550 this season, if I recall correctly. Good, but not Twins hat good. Yet the Mets won Game 3 9-3. And so, before Game 4, I faced the same choice any manager does: Do I ride what’s hot, or stick with the steady performer? I looked into the archives of Baseball Prospectus, but couldn’t find any research on whether there’s such a thing as a hot-hand effect in fans’ attire. I was adrift with nothing but my own small sample sizes.Saturday, I put on the Mets hat. By the end of the night, it had regressed to its mean. It couldn’t stop a Royals team that had a .301 BABIP in the regular season from having a BABIP of .346 in Game 4 (and that doesn’t even count the ball that skittered beneath Murphy’s glove). It couldn’t make the Mets win. It couldn’t get Terry Collins to bring in his best bullpen pitcher for a six-out save with nobody on, rather than a five-out save with two runners on base. It couldn’t get Cespedes to stay closer to first base in the final moments.A hat with a .550 winning percentage could never do that. But a Twins hat with a .627 winning percentage? We’ll find out during Game 5. read more

Read More

Heavy rain flooding Grand Bahama homes senior citizens call for Govt help

first_img Related Items:freeport, grandbahama, magneticmedia, NEMA Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp #Metoo-movement-type complaint, now investigation of high-ranking TCI Police Officer opened Recommended for you TCI: Man safe now, says he was trapped after lightning hit truck and it burst into flames T&T companies tap into Cuban market at Expo Caribe 2019 Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, August 25, 2017 – Grand Bahama – People in Grand Bahama are bailing water out of their homes and praying that mold ridden walls won’t kill them as the help promised through #NEMA and Urban Renewal has not yet come through.  #MagneticMedia is in touch with families on the island who say the incessant rain is literally back breaking work as homeowners, women in their 70s are bailing water out of their homes as they hope and wait for Government help.The reason for the hold up is multi pronged and includes that some repair workers are on holiday, reports of misappropriated funds and a process which had to be revisited and reviewed once the new government came in.    Calls to local government leaders, to members of parliament and government ministers and government offices are not falling on deaf ears we are told but they are not reaping any swift action to help these senior citizens out.It has been raining for the past two days in #Freeport in unrelentingly.    During a recent rain event, Grand Bahama Minister Kwasi Thompson told media that the help for homeowners was a work in progress, that homeowners were not forgotten.    Almost a month later, and as we enter the busy part of the hurricane season – people say they need help, not promises.A NEMA damage assessment of #GrandBahama, released right after the storm in October 2016 mainly focused on the outlying areas of the island, with no reports on damaged building in the Freeport area.    At that time, 525 structures were reported destroyed in 15 areas including West End, Holmes Rock, Pinder’s Point, Mack Town, Hunters, Jones Town, Hanna Hill, Sea Grape and Pinedale.last_img read more

Read More

5M State Grant to Provide Alternate Water Source to San Antonio Installations

first_img Dan Cohen AUTHOR San Antonio officials believe the $5 million grant the region was awarded Thursday by the state to connect the area’s military installations to a backup water source will go a long way toward ensuring the viability of the area’s military installations over the coming decades.The Texas Military Preparedness Commission (TMPC) awarded the grant as part of $15 million in funding it plans to disburse this year under the state’s Defense Economic Adjustment Assistance Grant program to help communities support local installations.Bob Murdock, director of San Antonio’s Office of Military Affairs, said the award is critical for the future growth of Joint Base San Antonio (JBSA), which is made up of Fort Sam Houston, Lackland Air Force Base and Randolph AFB.“It addresses Joint Base San Antonio’s top priority and I believe having access to an alternative water source makes JBSA significantly more competitive to garner additional missions when there is a future BRAC,” Murdock said.JBSA is currently under a drought warning, said Tim Trevino, senior director of strategic planning and communications for the Alamo Area Council of Governments (AACOG), which applied to the state commission for the money on behalf of the region.The situation is most critical at Camp Bullis — a training reservation attached to Fort Sam Houston — which relies on an aquifer that is susceptible to drought.San Antonio’s grant will go toward an $11 million-plus project to construct four miles of pipeline to provide an alternative water source for Fort Sam Houston; Camp Bullis; Lackland; and two individual sites at Lackland, the Medina Annex and Security Hill. Randolph already has a backup water source.The project calls for the San Antonio Water System to extend water mains and other equipment to the fence lines at each of those five sites, said Trevino. The project also will cover work inside the fence line at Camp Bullis, he said, requiring the Air Force to formally accept a gift from the local government. The Army, however, would be responsible for the labor at Bullis.The project is scheduled to be completed by August 2017, Trevino told 360.In a written statement commenting on Thursday’s award, Diane Rath, AACOG’s executive director, thanked Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R), the commission and local stakeholders.“This is truly a community and statewide effort, including the governor and the TMPC commissioners, and I could not think of a more exciting mission than to help secure our bases’ military missions. This couldn’t have been done without our state and local community partners, and this is truly a regional project that will be beneficial for communities throughout our surrounding counties,” Rath said.See Monday’s 360 for details about the other communities that received awards from the Texas Military Preparedness Commission.last_img read more

Read More