In a closing statement reflecting his observations during his year-long tenure as President of the Assembly, Mr. Holkeri pointed out the inadequacies to the follow-up to the Millennium Summit as well as the other UN conferences held over the past decade, stating that Member States and the respective entities of the UN Secretariat seemed unable to break the habit of considering various issues in isolation, rather than in the overall context of the global agenda. The outgoing President said the work of the plenary should be reinvigorated and Member States should show greater restraint in requesting the inclusion of new items on its agenda. Otherwise, the work of the plenary will become clogged and the institution, itself, irrelevant, he added.Mr. Holkeri also said the discussion on Security Council reform had to move to a higher political level as a way of building sufficient political will, and suggested that governments consider a step-by-step approach as had been done in reforming the General Assembly. Citing the need for constant interaction between the Charter bodies, Mr. Holkeri recommended the continuation of regular meetings between the Assembly President and the Presidents of both the Security Council and the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) as well as with the Chairs of the five regional groups to inform Member States about the Assembly’s work. When asked at a press conference following the conclusion of the 55th session about the United States’ financial contributions to the UN, Mr. Holkeri said Washington had committed itself last December to certain financial pledges. “I hope President Bush will help this organization in that respect,” he said. In another development, Secretary-General Kofi Annan was scheduled to meet this afternoon in New York with Foreign Minister Han Seung-soo of the Republic of Korea, who is to be the President of the fifty-sixth session of the General Assembly that begins tomorrow.
The World Health Organization (WHO) will host the meeting on February 12 in Geneva, with the companies representing more than half of total global alcohol sales. Participants will be briefed on current activities in the alcohol policy area and relevant corporate social responsibility initiatives. They will also exchange views on how to curb drinking and driving, and the marketing and promotion of alcohol to young people.”Worldwide, 5 per cent of all deaths of young people between the ages of 15 and 29 were attributable to alcohol use, and that globally, 140 million people were suffering from alcohol dependence,” said Dr Gro. Harlem Brundtland, WHO Director-General. Speaking at the WHO European Ministerial Conference on Young People and Alcohol in February 2001, she also called for a concerted review by international experts of the issue of marketing and promotion of alcohol to young people. The Geneva meeting follows informal discussions over the past six months with alcohol companies and reflects WHO’s determination to engage with all interested stakeholders in formulating a policy to address the public health consequences of alcohol use worldwide. Alcohol is the leading health risk in some developing countries, and ranks third in industrialized nations, causing 1.8 million deaths worldwide, according to the recently released World Health Report 2002.
A Soesdyke, East Bank Demerara (EBD) businesswoman was on Tuesday slapped with three charges when she appeared before Magistrate Sherdel Isaacs-Marcus at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.The mother of four, 38-year-old Shanaz Mohammed of Back Road, Soesdyke, EBD denied the charges of narcotics possession, the sale of alcohol without a licence and escaping from the Timehri Police Station.She denied that on May 6 at her address, she sold or offered for sale rum while not being licenced for same.She also denied having some 487 grams of cannabis in her possession for the purpose of trafficking on the same day at the said location.Moreover, Mohammed who allegedly escaped while being in custody at the Timehri Police Station Enquires Office on May 8, denied the said charge.Mohammed’s place of business was reportedly searched by ranks, who were acting on information received, when the narcotics along with the alcohol were allegedly discovered hidden behind a fridge in her living room.She was arrested and later charged for the said offenses. However, while in Police custody, the woman reportedly escaped and was recaptured on June 3 hiding in a house close to her residence.Her Attorney, Stanley Moore told ranks that his client did not escape but was however allowed to leave the Police Station.Making a bail application for the accused, he reported to Magistrate Isaac-Marcus that the house in which the narcotics was found is being occupied by several persons.She was bailed in the sum of $70,000 for being unlicenced to sell alcohol and further bailed in the sum of $100,000 for escaping Police custody.However, bail was denied on the narcotics charge and Mohammed was remanded to prison on that charge.The defendant is expected to return to the Providence Magistrate’s Court on June 19, 2018 for statements. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedBerbice businesswoman charged with marijuana, cocaine possessionApril 23, 2015In “Crime”Woman charged with attempted murder of CopMay 15, 2018In “Court”Court to proceed with illegal firearm case against Maryann DabyAugust 1, 2019In “Court”