NEW DELHI: The government is learnt to have cleared the names of four judges for their elevation to the Supreme Court, sources said Wednesday.Once the appointments formally come through, the top court will have its full sanctioned strength of 31 judges (including the chief justice). As of now, the apex court is functioning with 27 judges. The four names cleared by the government are justices Aniruddha Bose, A S Bopanna, B R Gavai and Surya Kant. Also Read – Dussehra with a ‘green’ twistThe names of justices Bose and Bopanna were earlier returned by the government to the SC collegium citing seniority and representation of regions as the reasons. But in its resolution passed earlier this month, the collegium had reiterated its recommendation to elevate justices Bose and Bopanna to the apex court, observing that nothing adverse has been found regarding their competence, conduct or integrity. The collegium had also recommended the names of justices B R Gavai and Surya Kant for elevation to the apex court. Also Read – India receives its first Rafale fighter jet from FranceThe five-member Collegium is headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi. Sources aware of the development said the notification is expected either Wednesday evening or on Thursday morning once the President signs their warrant of appointment. Justice Bose, whose parent high court is Calcutta, is the Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court and is at number 12 in all-India seniority of judges. Justice Bopanna, whose parent high court is Karnataka, is the Gauhati High Court Chief Justice and stands at number 36. Justice Gavai is a judge of the Bombay High Court and Justice Kant is the incumbent Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court. Last year, the government had locked horns with the judiciary, refusing to clear the name of Justice KM Joseph for elevation to the top court. But the government was forced to accept his elevation when the collegium reasserted its choice and Justice Joseph took oath in August last year.
Rabat – At least 13 people were killed in an attack this morning by al-Shabab at the African Union (AU) base near the airport in Mogadishu.Two vehicles carrying explosives detonated near an entrance to the AU base and at a checkpoint close to the base staffed by Somali forces.Al-Shabab’s spokesman told al-Jazeera that the terrorist organization had carried out the attack to kill “occupying” foreign forces. In a press release from AMISOM this afternoon, AU Special Representative for Somalia Francisco Caetano Madeira praised the quick response of Somali and AMISOM forces that “prevented the vehicles from proceeding further and thereby thwarted the attack.”The African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), established in 2007, aims to stabilize the country and combat al-Shabab. Authorized by the United Nations, the mission employs soldiers from across the African Union.United Nations efforts to bring peace to Somalia have been largely unsuccessful since the 1990s. AMISOM has faced considerable obstacles and incurred large numbers of casualties while attempting to stabilize the country.This attack follows two other deadly attacks by al-Shabab in Somalia this summer alone.AMISOM condemned the bombing on Twitter this morning as a “senseless attack that aims to disrupt and cripple the lives of ordinary Somalis. These attacks must be stopped.”