Progress continues to be made on establishing the leadership team for the Halifax Convention Centre Corporation. Government announced today, April 4, that the Halifax Convention Centre Act has been proclaimed. The act appoints Deputy Minister of Business Murray Coolican, and acting Halifax Regional Municipality CAO John Traves as the corporation’s interim board of directors. Minister of Business Mark Furey and Mr. Traves have designated current Trade Centre Limited (TCL) president and CEO Scott Ferguson as the president and CEO of the new convention centre corporation. The terms of Mr. Ferguson’s contract remain the same. “The appointment of Mr. Ferguson ensures the new convention centre corporation will have the experience and continuity of leadership we need at this important time,” said Mr. Coolican. “In partnership with Halifax, government expects to announce an appointed board of directors in the near future.” “This is an exciting milestone as we get ready to open and operate the new Halifax Convention Centre,” said Mr. Ferguson. “I look forward to continuing to work with our government partners over the next year as we get ready to welcome the world to Halifax.” The Halifax Convention Centre is scheduled to open in early 2017.
Former Navy spokesman DKP Dassanayake, who was arrested by the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) over the disappearance of 11 youth, was ordered to be further remanded till October 9 by the Colombo Fort Magistrate today.The youth had been reported missing between 2008 and 2009. In 2015 the CID had questioned Dassanayake over allegations that some officers in the Navy were involved in the disappearance of several youth.Last year, former Navy Commander Admiral Wasantha Karannagoda also appeared before the CID to make a statement over the disappearance of the youth. (Colombo Gazette)
A statement issued by Mr. Ban’s spokesperson said that 21 peacekeepers from the UN Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) were detained in the vicinity of Al Jamla in the area of limitation. “The Secretary-General reminds all actors in Syria that UNDOF is mandated to monitor the Disengagement of Forces Agreement between Israel and Syria. UNDOF’s freedom of movement and safety and security must be respected by all parties,” said the statement.The Council also spoke out about the incident, in a statement read out to the press by Ambassador Vitaly Churkin of Russia, which holds the March presidency of the 15-member body, following a closed-door meeting.“The members of the Security Council demanded the unconditional and immediate release of all the detained UN peacekeepers and called upon all parties to cooperate with UNDOF in good faith to enable it to operate freely and to ensure full security of its personnel,” Mr. Churkin said.UN spokesperson Eduardo del Buey told reporters that approximately 30 armed fighters had stopped and detained the peacekeepers. “The mission is dispatching a team to assess the situation and attempt a resolution,” he said.Peacekeepers serving with UNDOF monitor the 1974 disengagement accord between Syria and Israel after their 1973 war. In December, the Security Council extended the mission’s mandate for another six months, until 30 June 2013.