爱上海,上海419论坛,上海龙凤419 - Powered by December, 2019

Man United blow? Neymar to stay at Barcelona ‘for life’, insists club director

first_img1 Neymar celebrates scoring for Barcelona Neymar will remain at Barcelona “for life,” according to the club’s technical director Roberto Fernandez.The Brazil superstar was linked with Manchester United this summer, with reports in England claiming the Red Devils were prepared to spend £240million to tempt him to the Premier League.£130m of that fee would have been the player’s buyout clause, with the remainder on tying him to a long-term contract at Old Trafford.Neymar, who scored 43 goals in all competitions as Barcelona won a La Liga, Copa del Rey and Champions League treble last season, recently admitted he held talks with United over the summer.He is, however, tied to the European champions until June 2018, and Barca have expressed their intention to reward the Brazil international with a new and improved deal that would reportedly make the player the second highest paid at the club after Lionel Messi.“We are currently working on Neymar’s contract extension and I don’t think there will be any type of problem,” Fernandez said, as reported in Marca.“I have no doubt in my mind that Neymar will spend the rest of his life at Barcelona.”last_img read more

Read More

Good news for Spurs and Southampton? Porto star plays down Real Madrid link

first_imgTottenham and Southampton target Giannelli Imbula insists he is not dreaming of a move to Real Madrid.The midfielder joined Porto in the summer from Marseille for £17.5m after they beat off competition from Premier League clubs.Since then, though, rumours have grown that the 23-year-old is unsettled and struggling to adapt to life in Portugal.Spurs and Southampton have been tipped to make a move for the Frenchman, while recent reports have suggested that Imbula is targeting a switch to Real.However, the link to the Spanish giants has quickly been quashed by the player. “It is not a dream? No,” Imbula told Canal+ when quizzed on interest from Real Madrid.“La Liga? No it is not a dream. A dream is something you have when you go to bed… I have personal aims, but I don’t necessarily have dreams in football.” Giannelli Imbula 1last_img read more

Read More

Ryan won’t be retained as U.S. women’s coach

first_imgSOCCER: Debacle at World Cup, the team’s only major tournament, prompts team to look for another leader. By Rachel Cohen THE ASSOCIATED PRESS High expectations can create major repercussions. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.That was defender Cat Whitehill’s reaction to the news Greg Ryan is out as the U.S. women’s soccer coach. The decision came less than a month after his top-ranked team lost in the World Cup semifinals following a contentious goalie switch. “With the standards our team has set, if you don’t win, it’s hard to keep your job,” Whitehill said Monday, a day after players and Ryan were informed of the move. “Nothing against the way Greg Ryan coached, but we didn’t play as well as we should have.” Ryan’s contract will not be renewed when it expires at the end of the year. The squad does not play any more games in 2007. “I’m not going to point to any one factor or one individual decision,” U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said on a conference call Monday announcing the change. “Obviously, coaches’ decisions impact games. All that was weighed in.” Gulati, U.S. Soccer secretary general Dan Flynn and retired star Mia Hamm will form the search committee. Gulati expected to make a hire in the next 30 to 45 days, with the team set to resume training in January. The new coach will come in with just eight months to prepare for the Beijing Olympics. Gulati said he wants a candidate who is familiar with American soccer, who has experience coaching in international events. Ryan was 45-1-9 since taking over in early 2005, but Gulati made clear that the lone loss weighed heavily in the decision because it meant Ryan failed to win his only major tournament. Gulati also indicated that poor performances in games the U.S. won or tied factored into the choice to sever ties. “The expectation is to compete for a gold medal virtually every time we’re in competition,” Gulati said. With the Americans favored to win their third World Cup, Ryan decided before their match with Brazil to make a change in goal, replacing Hope Solo with veteran Briana Scurry. Solo had allowed two goals in four World Cup starts and had a shutout string of nearly 300 minutes. Scurry, the goalie for the 1999 World Cup champs, had beaten Brazil two straight times. The U.S. lost, 4-0, and had to settle for third place, and Solo ripped Ryan for the move. Solo is not suspended from the team and will be invited to next year’s residency program, Gulati said. Forward Heather O’Reilly said distractions wouldn’t have lingered had Ryan remained coach. “We were looking to move forward if it was Greg or if it was a new coaching staff,” O’Reilly said. Gulati said he and Flynn spoke to players in evaluating Ryan and that the committee would seek input from team members during the hiring process. Ryan’s assistants – Bret Hall, Phil Weddon and Billy McNicol – don’t have the experience to be considered for the head coaching job, Gulati said. The new coach will decide whether to retain them. The 50-year-old Ryan, a longtime college coach, was an assistant on the gold-medal-winning U.S. team at the 2004 Olympics. In a sport once dominated by a few powers, last month’s World Cup reflected the greater commitment to women’s soccer by many countries. “I’m not concerned we’ve fallen off,” Gulati said. “What it takes to stay even is clearly more demanding.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More

A growing threat to civil liberties

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre His bureau had already talked with a federally financed think tank at USC, a forerunner of the kind Harman has in mind to implement her bill. Like Downing, Harman thinks it likely that the U.S. will face a native brand of terrorism in the immediate future and offers a plan to deal with such ideologically based violence. Harman’s bill threatens constitutional rights by creating an anti-terrorist commission with sweeping investigative power and a mandate to propose laws prohibiting whatever the commission deems homegrown terrorism. Specifically, the commission is a menace through its power of hearings and subpoenas, a power expressly authorized for even a single member of the commission – little Joe McCarthys running around the country holding their own private hearings. Harman’s bill would also assign the commission the insidious power to infiltrate targeted organizations, to hire consultants and contractors to carry out its work, and to create the misnamed “Center of Excellence” which will continue to exist after the commission is disbanded. The proposal also includes an absurd attack on the Internet, criticizing it for providing Americans with “access to broad and constant streams of terrorist-related propaganda.” While its purpose is to prevent terrorism, Harman’s bill doesn’t criminalize any specific conduct nor contain penalties. But the commission’s findings will be cited by those who see a terrorist under every bed and who will demand passage of criminal penalties that further restrict free speech and other civil liberties. Personal or group actions contrary to the commission’s findings will be interpreted as a sign of treason, at worst, or a lack of patriotism at the least. While Harman denies that her proposal creates “thought police,” it defines “home grown terrorism” as the “planned” or “threatened” use of force to coerce the government or the people in the promotion of “political or social objectives.” That means that no force need actually have occurred as long as the government can argue that the individual or group thought about doing it. IF there was any doubt about the imminent threat to free speech and thought inherent in Rep. Jane Harman’s “Thought Police” bill, one need only read the testimony of LAPD Deputy Chief Michael Downing. The Los Angeles Police Department, through Downing’s anti-terrorism bureau, had already implemented the most dangerous provisions of what Harman would do nationwide. Only a loud public outcry got the LAPD to drop – or at least put a more benign name – on its efforts, for now, anyway. With overwhelming bipartisan support, Harman’s “Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007” passed the House 404-6 late last month. Swift passage through Sen. Joe Lieberman’s Homeland Security Committee appears certain. It was before Lieberman’s committee that Downing revealed his plan to keep tabs on Muslim organizations in Los Angeles. Under the guise of helping them integrate into the larger community, Downing wanted to know what Muslims are taught, what they read and whose voices among them we should support. Any social or economic reform is thus brought under the gun. Have a march of 100 or 100,000 people in support of a reform – amnesty for illegal immigrants or overturning Roe v. Wade – and someone can perceive that to be a use of force to intimidate the people, the court or the government. “Violent radicalization” is defined as promoting an “extremist belief system.” American governments, both state and national, have a long history of interpreting radical “belief systems” as inevitably leading to violence as a means of facilitating change. Examples are numerous. California’s 1919 criminal syndicalism law was used successfully to break up the Communist Labor Party, sending its leaders to San Quentin for membership in an organization that, the government maintained, advocated force and violence. That law was resurrected in the 1960s in Los Angeles for use against black activists. The hearings conducted by the House UnAmerican Activities Committee for several decades during the Cold War and the solo hearings by a member of that committee’s Senate counterpart, Joe McCarthy, demonstrate the dangers inherent in Harman’s legislation. California’s “Tenney Committee” smeared reformers in a similar manner. Harman denies that her bill is a threat to free speech. It clearly states that no measure to prevent homegrown terrorism should violate “constitutional rights, civil rights or civil liberties.” But as in waterboarding, all the government need say is that “We don’t torture,” or in this case, “We don’t violate the Constitution.” Unless the public applies pressure on a Senate ready to pass this turkey, what LAPD’s Downing tried to achieve here will be implemented nationwide. Ralph E. Shaffer is professor emeritus of history at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. William Robinson is director of the Upper San Gabriel Valley Water District.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More

MYSTERY CELEBRITY GUEST TO TURN ON LETTERKENNY’S CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

first_imgSo who is the mystery celebrity guest who has been signed up to turn on Letterkenny’s Christmas lights?So who will turn on Letterkenny’s Christmas lights?On Friday, November 28th, Letterkenny Chamber of Commerce and Shop LK will be lighting up Letterkenny for Christmas. There will be music, hot drinks, mulled wine, mince pies and that’s even before Santa arrives.And this year there is the added novelty that a well-known national personality has agreed to help get the town into the festive atmosphere. This year Mayor of the Letterkenny Municipal Authority Michael McBride is once again asking a young person from a local school to turn on the switch and we are delighted to announce that we also have a celebrity guest.The lucky winner of the School Art Competition “Christmas in Letterkenny” will join Councillor Michael McBride, and our mystery celebrity at the Market Square to turn on the lights.As well as helping to turn on the lights the winner and runner up will all receive a prize and there will be spot prizes available on the night.Councillor McBride remarked; “The turning on of the Christmas lights is a lovely family event and I look forward to turning them on with the competition winner. Judging by last year’s event there will be a great Christmas atmosphere on the night and I hope we manage to spread lots of Christmas cheer!” Last year’s event was a huge success in Letterkenny.From 5.30pm selected businesses around the town will be staying open a little later and giving out sweets, hot chocolate, mulled wine, and other Christmas treats. Some businesses will have stalls outside with goodies to keep you warm. The Letterkenny Senior Accordion Band will be playing at the Courthouse and at the band stand during the evening.The official switch on is at 7.00pm and shortly after that Santa will be arriving at the Market Square on Main Street.Gerard Grant President of the Chamber commented; “The turning on of the lights is a really magical event and we want to share the moment with as many Letterkenny people as possible. We hope to kick start the Christmas season with a wonderful night of Christmas cheer and goodwill.”The Letterkenny Chamber urges everyone to come down and share in the fun of a festive night. For more information check out the ShopLK website www.shoplk.ie or the ShopLK Facebook page www.facebook.com/shoplk . MYSTERY CELEBRITY GUEST TO TURN ON LETTERKENNY’S CHRISTMAS LIGHTS was last modified: November 19th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:celebrityChristmas lightsLetterkenny Chamberlast_img read more

Read More