The incident is now under control, but at one point part of the community was evacuated and the Alaska Highway was closed while officials worked to stop the leak.While the incident is under the jurisdiction of the National Energy Board, staff from the B.C. Oil and Gas Commission are on site on behalf of the NEB, as part of an agreement that the NEB has with the BCOGC.The NEB says all appropriate agencies have been notified and an NEB investigation into the cause of the incident is underway. The NEB’s job is to hold regulated companies fully responsible and accountable for responding in a manner that protects the public, property and the environment.- Advertisement –
SOCCER: Debacle at World Cup, the team’s only major tournament, prompts team to look for another leader. By Rachel Cohen THE ASSOCIATED PRESS High expectations can create major repercussions. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.That was defender Cat Whitehill’s reaction to the news Greg Ryan is out as the U.S. women’s soccer coach. The decision came less than a month after his top-ranked team lost in the World Cup semifinals following a contentious goalie switch. “With the standards our team has set, if you don’t win, it’s hard to keep your job,” Whitehill said Monday, a day after players and Ryan were informed of the move. “Nothing against the way Greg Ryan coached, but we didn’t play as well as we should have.” Ryan’s contract will not be renewed when it expires at the end of the year. The squad does not play any more games in 2007. “I’m not going to point to any one factor or one individual decision,” U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said on a conference call Monday announcing the change. “Obviously, coaches’ decisions impact games. All that was weighed in.” Gulati, U.S. Soccer secretary general Dan Flynn and retired star Mia Hamm will form the search committee. Gulati expected to make a hire in the next 30 to 45 days, with the team set to resume training in January. The new coach will come in with just eight months to prepare for the Beijing Olympics. Gulati said he wants a candidate who is familiar with American soccer, who has experience coaching in international events. Ryan was 45-1-9 since taking over in early 2005, but Gulati made clear that the lone loss weighed heavily in the decision because it meant Ryan failed to win his only major tournament. Gulati also indicated that poor performances in games the U.S. won or tied factored into the choice to sever ties. “The expectation is to compete for a gold medal virtually every time we’re in competition,” Gulati said. With the Americans favored to win their third World Cup, Ryan decided before their match with Brazil to make a change in goal, replacing Hope Solo with veteran Briana Scurry. Solo had allowed two goals in four World Cup starts and had a shutout string of nearly 300 minutes. Scurry, the goalie for the 1999 World Cup champs, had beaten Brazil two straight times. The U.S. lost, 4-0, and had to settle for third place, and Solo ripped Ryan for the move. Solo is not suspended from the team and will be invited to next year’s residency program, Gulati said. Forward Heather O’Reilly said distractions wouldn’t have lingered had Ryan remained coach. “We were looking to move forward if it was Greg or if it was a new coaching staff,” O’Reilly said. Gulati said he and Flynn spoke to players in evaluating Ryan and that the committee would seek input from team members during the hiring process. Ryan’s assistants – Bret Hall, Phil Weddon and Billy McNicol – don’t have the experience to be considered for the head coaching job, Gulati said. The new coach will decide whether to retain them. The 50-year-old Ryan, a longtime college coach, was an assistant on the gold-medal-winning U.S. team at the 2004 Olympics. In a sport once dominated by a few powers, last month’s World Cup reflected the greater commitment to women’s soccer by many countries. “I’m not concerned we’ve fallen off,” Gulati said. “What it takes to stay even is clearly more demanding.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
In a key step toward creating a comprehensive regional aviation system, Lydia H. Kennard has been tapped to head Los Angeles World Airports by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. Kennard – who left as LAWA’s executive director in November 2003 as former Mayor James Hahn was pressing ahead with an $11 billion massive modernization plan for Los Angeles International Airport – said Tuesday that she believes there now is an opportunity to create a regional aviation network for Southern California that would include LAX, Ontario International, Van Nuys and Palmdale Regional airports. “This mayor has the vision, charisma, diplomacy skills and the local, state and federal relationships to bring about a meaningful discussion in this regard,” said Kennard, 51. Under Hahn, Kennard in April 2002 urged a modified version of what came to be known as “Alternate D,” which would have eliminated some of the most controversial and expensive elements of the LAX modernization plan – including a remote passenger terminal east of the airport and an automated people-mover system that was criticized as inefficient and difficult to secure. Kennard said one of her first tasks will be to oversee the “reformulation of the LAX masterplan,” which is the outgrowth of more than a decade of work at a cost of more than $120 million, and whose environmental studies are now the subject of legal challenges. She said some of the LAX planning done so far may be salvageable – including some runway and improvements that are necessary, but that it doesn’t lock LAWA into proceeding with all the elements, adding some “parts and pieces” won’t be built. “The airport may have spent $120 million, but I’d much rather do the right thing than go forward with a plan that doesn’t make sense post-9-11.” Kennard has never publicly discussed strains with the Hahn administration. But in urging a more regional approach – as a LAWA deputy beginning in 1994 she oversaw the development of Ontario International – and in other managerial matters she at times was at odds with then-airport commission president Ted Stein, an Encino attorney. Stein resigned in April 2004 amid “pay-to-play” contracting allegations, which he denied. Kennard, who saw LAX through the months after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, including its financial recovery, said the airports’ security will remain a top priority, including obtaining additional federal funding. Beth Barrett, (818) 713-3731 firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 With little support for the plan, Kennard stepped down two years ago and was replaced as executive director by Kim Day, a proponent of Hahn’s plan who announced her resignation last week. Villaraigosa, who made a regional approach to aviation service a central part of his mayoral campaign, called Kennard, “an outstanding and experienced leader who brings instant credibility and a steady hand to the management of (LAWA).” Kennard, he said, shares his goals of “increasing public safety at our airports and creating a regional plan for future growth in passenger travel and cargo.” Denny Schneider, airport chair for the Westchester Neighbors Association – one of the groups that has opposed expansion of LAX in favor of regionalization – said Kennard’s appointment is a positive move. “I think she has the capability of really mustering up the plans to create a better airport, rather than a bigger airport (at LAX),” Schneider said. “She has a lot more scope of knowledge than almost anyone does have.”
Former Finn Harps FC and Derry City player Stephen McLaughlin has left Nottingham Forest and has signed for Southend United FC. McLaughlin enjoyed a hugely successful loan spell with Southend and his goal in the play-off semi-final secured their place in the final at Wembley.Southend manager Phil Brown had been hugely impressed by his performances and was keen to acquire the services of McLaughlin for the season ahead. After weeks of negotiations McLaughlin and his team of advisers finally pushed through the transfer with just a few days of the window still open.McLaughlin’s move to Nottingham Forest never really took off since he signed with them in January 2013.He spent the majority of his time at the City Ground on loan to lower league clubs.There was a huge influx of managers during his two-year stint and a lot of unrest during that period which didn’t help the talented Donegal midfielder. However, McLaughlin will be delighted to have secured the two-year deal at Southend and will hope he can cement a regular place in the side.MACCA ON THE MOVE: FORMER HARPS STAR JOINS SOUTHEND UNITED was last modified: August 28th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:newsSport
Arcata >> The Jacks might have been idle when it comes to playing actual games last weekend, but the same can’t be said in terms of where they are now ranked nationally.There was only one place to jump up to.And all of two weeks into the season, the Jacks have done just that.The Humboldt State softball team has officially jumped up from No. 2 to No. 1 in Division II, as the Jacks now own the top spot in the nation in this week’s National Fastpitch Coaches Association, it was announced on …